Saturday, July 24, 2010

One step closer.

The BEAUTIFUL plaza mayor... no picture will ever capture it's true beauty.

7/23/10

Friday

Our last day in Salamanca has been quite a success and it’s not even over yet! We had a very chill morning, studying her e and there. We had lunch at our all time favorite restaurant in the plaza mayor. We enjoyed our last “mixto con huevo” which is a ham and cheese sandwich with a fried egg on top. Absolutely one of the most delicious sandwiches I’ve ever had.


Our finals went as well as they could I suppose, but most importantly…. WE ARE DONE WITH SCHOOL. To celebrate we went and had the most delicious ice cream in Spain. After I finished my “ferrero and tarta de queso” ice cream cone we did some last minute souvenir shopping. Now it’s time to pack some more. The manager at our favorite restaurant told us to “squeeze the fun out of Salamanca” so that’s exactly what we have to do! It’s our last day here, so we have to soak up every moment at this point!

My other half

My comercial correspondence class with our teachers, Alicia and Maria!

Tonight after dinner we are going to the plaza again to reminisce with friends. I know that we will still be together this weekend but it’s mine and Emily’s last night before her family is here! She’s leaving in the morning to go to Madrid and I won’t leave until noon. It will be the longest we’ve been apart!

Dinner was so fun tonight. We had the most typical Spanish meal as our last home cooked meal here. Carmen made us paella, tortilla de patatas and the most delicious salad in the entire world. We had great conversation and our padres felt the need to share life lessons with us. They want us to just be happy no matter what we do! How precious are they? I’m gong to miss them. Truly have been blessed with great families here!

It’s a bittersweet feeling being done! Not much left to do but finish packing and enjoy our last night in Salamanca with great friends.

Looking forward to it :)

7/24/10

Saturday

Well last nights outing was quite the adventure. We sat in the plaza together one last time in Salamanca. Of course we chose our favorite restaurant and enjoyed the beauty surrounding us while reminiscing of our favorite moments in Spain. After a couple of hours there we decided to walk to the cathedral. It’s in a beautiful location and is illuminated at night so we wanted to see it one last time. We all layed in the grass to look at it above us. It was so perfect…. Until… somebody, somewhere didn’t want us on that grass. For a total of about 5 seconds the sprinklers came on and we were soaked. Poor Caitlin was sitting right next to it so she got the really bad end of the deal but it was a priceless moment that we’ll remember for a long time! Way to end on a fun note, right?

Emily left this morning. Probably one of the most typical goodbye… movie scenes I’ve ever been a part of. I walked her downstairs where her taxi awaited her. The cab driver took her suitcase and put it in the car and then Emily and I hugged. I stood there waving as she drove away. Wow, does that not scream the goodbye in the “Parent Trap” minus the rain? It sure does. I mean, I’ll see her in about 3 hours anyway, but it was still emotional. Haha. I walked around a little bit after that to admire the beauty of Salamanca one last time. I was gone less than an hour and when I got back to my room my madre had already stripped Emily’s bed and had her sheets washed and on the line to dry. I was shocked! It didn’t make the separation anxiety any easier!

After attempting to fit all of my belongings in my suitcase, I went to Gil with Morgan, for one last delicious pastry. And by one last delicious pastry I mean, I bought 6 of the little bite size ones. It’s the perfect scenario for the indecisive… which is me to a T.

I spent some time with my padres this morning after Emily left. I hadn’t ever been alone with them before so carrying on the conversation with them by myself was a challenge, but wonderful! They are too sweet. I think my madre could tell I was anxious to leave because getting to Madrid was the next big step in heading home. Not to mention, I’m so thankful we get to go back to Madrid. This is where we all started so this is what I consider “home” in Spain. It’s the perfect place for closeure! So anyways, my madre came and gave me a hug and told me that she was going to miss me. My padre called a cab for me and we squeezed into the tiny elevator with all of my luggage. He told the taxi driver where he should take me. Then sweet Miguel stood there and waved as I drove off. He’s so precious! I’m going to really miss them!

Now, I’m in MADRID! The bus ride wasn’t too bad and passed by quickly. I’m staying with Carmen and Molly since Emily is with her family! Cant’ wait to see them later on tonight! It’s going to be a quick “parent” fix until I get home and get to see my own! (Luckily I got to skype both of my parents today, which was AWESOME.) Our hotel room is big and beautiful, with air conditioning and a shower that I can use for more than 3 minutes at a time! YES! It’s the little things, huh?

I don’t have definite plans right now. Just taking it easy! Can’t wait to see Em and her family later. It will be a great two days in Madrid, and then I’m homeward bound.


No comments:

Post a Comment